~Katie Yates, owner & founder of Paragon Home Services
How To Uncomplicate The Moving Process
As a kid we moved a lot and I thought the moving process was fun! A new house and neighborhood to discover, sorting through and organizing things, and a new beginning. It was all a game to me. Then I moved when I was older and it wasn’t quite so much fun anymore. Such a list of things to do, items not to forget, not to mention all the time it took. Yes, I still enjoyed getting rid of things and the organization but it wasn’t quite the adventure I’d had as a child. So, I searched Pinterest and did plenty of Googling to discover ways to make this big task seem a little smaller and I’m now passing on my findings to you. You’ll find below a checklist/timeline of things to make sure you do and some helpful tips to make the moving process a little easier.
The essential things to do and plan in advance
- Research and hire a mover 6 weeks before the big day.
- Fill out a change of address form at the post office 2-3 weeks before.
- Notify utility companies 2 weeks prior to your move. Schedule them to turn off at your old home the day after you move and turn on at the new home a couple days before the move in date.
- Call a locksmith and schedule to have your new locks changed on moving day.
- Arrange for a cleaning company to clean the new place a day or two before your move date.
- Have records transferred to new schools.
- Change address with creditors and financial institutions.
- Research cable, internet, and phone providers in your new area and setup appointments for service installation.
- Pre-order new checks with your change of address.
- Fill and transfer prescriptions a week before.
- Withdraw cash for unexpected expenses during the move.
- Properly dispose of flammable items that can’t be transported.
- Unplug and defrost the refrigerator 1-2 days before packing it into the truck.
- Empty gas and oil out of your lawn mower and weed eater.
- Backup all computers.
- Take a family photo in your old home before leaving.
- Enjoy the journey. It’s a new adventure!
Helpful tips to make the moving process easier
- Keep your hanging clothes still on the hanger. Rubberband about 15 hangers together and cover the clothes with a trash bag.
- Pack a first night box with these items:
- Toilet Paper
- Paper Towels
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Outfit for the next day
- First aid kit
- Pack a first day basket with disposable plates, cups, cutlery, and napkins.
- Before you pack or during the process purge everything.
- Use clothes, scarves, towels, etc. to wrap breakable items.
- The first thing to do once you’ve unloaded the truck…make the bed.
- Label the side of the boxes as well as the top.
- Color code each box according to the room it will be moved into. Place a piece of matching colored paper on the door or door frame of each room.
- If moving a short distance, take out the dresser drawers and leave clothes inside. Place a garbage bag over the clothes.
- Keep kitchen items inside the drawers and cover with plastic wrap.
- Pack socks into your boots and shoes.
- Fill your suitcases with items that need to be packed.
- Place books in rolling suitcases.
- Pack cleaning supplies in their own box.
- Tape screws and bolts on the back of furniture and hanging decor pieces.
- Use toilet paper and paper towel tubes to keep wires and cables organized.
- Put essential appliances (like the coffee maker) and food items (coffee) in a laundry basket to make sure they’re readily available.
- Keep packing supplies in a basket that you can easily move from room to room.
- Don’t stress and ask for help!